Thanks for all who participated in last Friday’s Pimp or Promote Extravaganza. This blog wouldn’t be half as much fun without each and every one of you.
Just in case you didn’t have time to wallow in Friday’s comments, here is a summary in the form of a More Cowbell Mash-up of groovy links and updates from the denizens of More Cowbell.
The pimpage that started it all, from Kristen Lamb and Chuck Wendig:
- What Ju-Jitsu Can Teach Us About Writing
- What Went Wrong With The Star Wars Prequels?
- Working Together to Renovate Publishing – the WANA Plan
- Blue Eggs From Bitch Chickens (or scenes from a Farmer’s Market)
- Transmissions from Baby-Town posts. My fave: Love In The Time of Diaper Changing
- Wendig Writing Gold: a link to all his 25 Things blogs
Blogs That Received The Most Love
- Catie Rhodes – Full-Tilt Backwoods Boogie
- Sherry Isaac’s blog tour next week (Jessica Aspen is hosting her today!) Find her on Facebook and follow her tour at: http://www.sherryisaac.com/Sherry_Isaac/Blog_Tour.html
- Gene Lempp –Unearthing the Future (raves about his “Designing From Bones” posts)
- Stacy Green – Turning The Page
- Tiffany A. White – The Ooo Factor (check out her Friday blog on the Kiss and Kill Murder)
- Amber West – A Day Without Sushi
News that generated a flurry of comments and a dance appearance by Snoopy
- Laura Drake got an agent last week! She’s my critique partner…can you tell I’m proud? Laura blogs over at Writers In The Storm.
- Gloria Richard has entered the social media pool with a Facebook page and a new Twitter account.
- Kristen Lamb got a lot of airtime (and rightfully so…) – her blog is a must-see. Additionally, one of her BFF’s David N. Walker popped over and is trying to build up his blog. Go show him some support if you get a minute.
- Amy Shojai wrote THREE new chapters on her current thriller. I highly recommend Amy’s Blog – Bling, Bitches & Blood. Especially if you have a pet, Amy is our pal MOST in the know.
- Amy recommends The Red Room for all authors.
- Jill Kemerer is about to finish her current WIP! p.s. Her blog rocks. 🙂
- Angela McGill (Curiocat) finished a short story called To Touch A Unicorn.
- Cheryel Hutton sent off a partial (she didn’t say to who) that tried to kick her butt. Of course, she triumphed…writers aren’t sissies.
- Danielle Meitiv just started Candace Haven’s Fast Draft Challenge and is loving it!
- Fae Rowen from Writers In The Storm is starting her first YA Sci Fi novel.
- Elizabeth Craig got a few plugs – one for her book, Finger Lickin’ Dead (w/a Riley Adams) and one for her Writer’s Knowledge Base.
- Last, but not least, Sharon Louise and K.B. (Kathy) Owen heaped love and pimpage on me and my webinars (thanks girls!).
Other Miscellaneous Recommendations
- Paranormal Freebies: http://paranormalfreebies,com
- Kristine Kathryn Rusch’s (amazing) blog on today’s publishing business: http://kriswrites.com/
- Funny Starbucks Drama blog: http://www.sbuxdrama.com/
- The Bloggess: http://thebloggess.com/2011/07/i-swear-i-dont-usually-post-about-my-cat-this-much/
- Joan Swan: http://www.joanswan.blogspot.com/
- Margie Lawson: http://www.margielawson.com/
- Hopefully, this summary will save you a bit of time in reading through the amazing number of comments you generated. Thanks again for the Friday fun. I think we’re gonna have to do that about once a quarter. Your brilliance was blinding. 🙂
I hope everyone is prepped to have a GREAT week. I’ll see you tomorrow for Techie Tuesday. I’m starting to get back into the ROW80 swing after a week of death and dying (my girlfriend’s mom did pass peacefully early last week).
What are your writing goals for this week? Did anyone post a Life List Club page? If so, please give us the link. Is there any promo or pimpage that you forgot to include in Friday’s comments? This is your last chance to get it out there!
FUN CONTEST ALERT
Regular visitors to More Cowbell know that I’m a software trainer by day and I give away a webinar every month to 15 commenters on this blog in my Let’s Meet Up Contest. Here is a chance to get your name in the webinar Hat of Love FIVE times!
At the bottom of Friday’s comments is one by Chuck Wendig, who I find hilariously funny. He signs off with “BTFO”, which cracks me up each time I see him use it.
Whoever comments first about what BTFO means and how it became Chuck’s slogan, you win. If the time stamps are close or there are really great/creative answers, I’ll pick up to three winners for today’s contest. Go!
BTFO = Beard the F*ck OnI = you go!
I never heard this term before but now it is MINE!
Yeppers, Danielle…this is a PARTIAL answer! Origin and use, please…
What a terrific idea Jenny! Love learning about new sites.
BTFO hmm, By The Four Ocephelapods. (Okay, its not a word. But it sounds like one. And no, I don’t cheat at scrabble.) And it became Chuck’s slogan after he was abducted by aliens and learned of the Great Ocean of Ocephelous and its denizens of the deep.
Have a great morning and I’m off to check out blogs I missed on Friday!
Serious points for creativity, Jessica! Enjoy the links – I was shocked at how much gold there was to be mined in Friday’s comments. 🙂
“Back the F*ck Off” is my guess! Thanks for the shout-out, Jenny!
You are most welcome, Kathy – I love your blog and you always pimp out great stuff. Your “BTFO” is not the answer, but I do like it. That’s the way I feel every day before coffee… 🙂
I’m pretty sure Kathy guessed it. Heehee
Nope! Danielle is the closest so far but I’m missing origin and usage.
Thanks for the mention (includes everyone that “pimped” my site) 😀
Yep, Gene, you and Catie were at the top of the Pimpage List. I was impressed. Thanks for the correction on the series name, by the way…
Beware The Flatulence Outbreak (kidding)
Thanks for the shout out. 😀
LMAO, Catie! That is not the meaning, but you get a definite point for making me reach for the napkins after I read your comment this morning (had a drink of caffeinated beverage going).
Back the F*Ck Off” would be my guess as well. Thank you again for the shout-out and for organizing all the comments to make the links easy to check out. You’re amazing as always!
LOL, Stacy. It’s nice for me to be organized somewhere and the computer seems to be the place. 🙂
I was so impressed with how busy y’all got in the comments. You, my friend, were VERY popular!
Yay! *does the Snoopy dance*
Wow another shout-out, you da bestest! Oh…and I SEE SHINY OBJECTS! *pant pant pant*
I knew you’d like the bling at the end of the post! You are more than welcome for the shout-out. Thanks for writing such a terrific blog. It helps keep me from missing my Hoshi-girl as badly as I would without your constant stream of puppy pictures. 🙂
GREAT listing of everyone’s blogs – this is going to take some time to go through. Thank you for the linkage!
Instead of my writing goals for the week, I’m giving you my writing goals for the month: finish WIP and first round of edits. I’m not taking NO for an answer here, so I may be on social media a bit less.
OMG, Tiff…you’re almost finished?? GO, GIRL!!! I will miss you terribly but that is so awesome. What a busy little bee you’ve been this summer. 🙂
Hey, Jenny! LOVED your post and all the links. I did go over to Jim’s site to spread the love. GREAT, emotive article. I’m glad you already pimped out Sherry’s blog tour so I wouldn’t break blog etiquette (again.) I’ll have one by Friday and, yes, it will have a LIfeList. I’ll tweet when it’s ready to go so you can check me out. Oh! The BTFO quandry compels me to share an appreviated note I leave in my ms for my inner editor (Gracie) when I mess something up: FTFM. (Fix this F***ing Mess). Saves time when I word search.
You glorious girl, you! I love your editor note, BTW… 🙂
You’ve gotta love Twitter – it just brought Amber over here with the winning answer! See below…
Beard the fuck on! From Search Term Bingo post http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2011/04/21/search-term-bingo-dont-give-a-shit/ used “to say to your friends to encourage them.”
I win! ….what did I win? XD
Amber, you DO win!!
I give away software webinars to all the commenters on this blog. I pick 15 names every month and I put on my software hat and teach for an hour. So far, LinkedIn and Word tricks (plus setting up MSS headers/footers, etc.). The participants vote for the topic – I put together a guide and teach it. Click on the Let’s Meet Up (for Training) Contest link up underneath the masthead.
You just got your name in the hat FIVE times, plus some supreme bragging rights! Welcome to More Cowbell! BTFO, Amber, BTFO…
Awesome! Plus I found an awesome new blog to read and a bunch of links to check out! I win double!
I can already tell you’re a sweetie pie, Amber. We’re delighted to have you visit. The crew put out the best links on Friday so you’ll be busy for a while.
Jenny, thank you for pimping me once again!
So cool to see Gloria, Jessica Aspen, Joan Swan all here. Your people and my people overlapping.
One thing I must master, the catchy headline readers cannot resist. Like Jessica’s (Paranormal Freebies) ‘Why Everyone Needs an Extra Pair of Balls’, and Chuck Wendig’s ‘Blue Eggs From Bitch Chickens’!
Clueless. What is the right answer?
Beard The %uck On…look down in the comments. One of the gals got it. 🙂