We like to get our giggle on every Monday here at More Cowbell and earlier this week, I saw just the thing to get us started:
Dumb Florida State Laws – over on Kelly Miller’s site.
My Florida favorites were:
- It is considered an offense to shower naked. (Perhaps they should define “shower.”)
- You may not fart in public places after 6 pm. (Hubs: Bet it gets gaseous at 5:45.)
- Having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal. (Thanks so much for telling me!)
Here’s my favorite Dumb Laws from my own sunny California:
- California prison workers will no longer be allowed to have sex with inmates.
- Women may not drive in a house coat. (I don’t know if any Cali gals own a housedress.)
- No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60 miles per hour. (Whew.)
- It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.
- Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of taverns, schools, or places of worship.
- Sunshine is guaranteed to the masses. (Huh.)
Some cities have their own version of idiocy in addition to the state’s.
Blythe: You are not permitted to wear cowboy boots unless you already own 2 or more cows.
Carmel: A man can’t go outside while wearing a jacket and pants that don’t match.
[Doesn’t it seem like there are LOTS of fashion-related rules?]
Chico: Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine.
Also in Chico: Bowling on the sidewalk is illegal.
[Note to self: Avoid Chico! There’s nuclear devices and an abnormal fixation on bowling.]
Dana Point: One may not use one’s own restroom if the window is open. (What?!)
Eureka: A man with a moustache may not kiss a woman. (I wonder who they can kiss.)
Hermosa Beach: Public restrooms must be supplied with toilet paper. (Amen.)
Hollywood: It is illegal to drive more than 2000 sheep down Hollywood Blvd. at one time.
- Drinking intoxicating cement is prohibited. (Why would you drink any cement?)
- It’s illegal for a trumpet player to play his instrument with the intention of luring someone to a store.
Los Angeles has some doozies:
- Zoot suits are prohibited.
- Toads may not be licked. (Wish someone had told me when I was still dating!)
- You cannot bathe two babies in the same tub at the same time. (I call “multiple birth discrimination!”)
Pacific Grove: It is illegal to molest butterflies. (I REALLY don’t want to know.)
Pasadena: It is illegal for a secretary to be alone in a room with her boss. (How do they get any freaking work done?)
Prunedale: Two bathtubs may not be installed in the same house. (You must be joking.)
Riverside: One may not carry a lunch down the street between 11 and 1 o’clock.
Crazy San Francisco laws:
- Giving or receiving oral sex is prohibited. (I’ll be they’ve repealed this law.)
- It is illegal to wipe one’s car with used undies. (That’s one I can get behind, IYKWIM…)
- Persons classified as “ugly” may not walk down any street.
In San Jose and Sunnyvale it is illegal for grocery stores to provide plastic bags.
All laws came from: http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/california
Hubby and I have contemplated moves to Washington State and Texas…now I’ve got to go look up their “most idiotic” laws. If you click the link above, you’ll be able to locate the laws in your state. There’s international laws there too.
What’s your fave crazy law above? Did you look up your state? Share the “best of your worst” with us in the comments section! Enquiring minds always want to know these things here at More Cowbell!