Today, for Thoughty Thursday, I’m going to make you laugh. We’re traveling back to April’s A to Z Challenge to discuss online dating.
I started thinking about this post after reading Natalie Hartford’s dating post last week. (You might want to peek if you missed it…it was fabulous.)
Today’s post started with an impromptu roundtable discussion about online dating between 12 women at a birthday dinner last Spring…
All of these women except me were single, and all of these women had dating STORIES.
Having been with my hubby for eight years, I’ve missed a lot of these online dating
horror experiences. I know there are couples out there finding true love online – the services would be out of business otherwise – but this hasn’t been the case for MY friends.
Nope, no easy road for these gals. Here’s what a fly on the wall would have heard at our table:
“If these younger guys actually stopped texting me long enough to ask me out on a date, it would be shocking.”
“And why is it that all these guys want to send you pictures of them naked before you’ve ever met them? Give me some mystery, dude!”
“What is up with all the ‘winking?’ Do YOU wink, or wait for THEM to wink?”
“I stopped winking at guys. Whenever I do, they evaporate from the planet.”
“I’ve stopped winking too. The last dude I winked at sent me 14 emails. All of them had my photo attached and included creepy one-liners in the body of the email.”
“Like ‘Yum’ or ‘Ooooh, Baby!’ One email just said, ‘You sizzle my face.’ I don’t want to sizzle anyone’s face!!”
“Is anyone else noticing the increased interest in anal sex?” [To my shock, several of the gals piped up and agreed.] “I mean, seriously? You’re gonna ask me on the phone before we ever date if I like anal sex?? Now I don’t want any part of you near me.”
This last comment led to a whole side discussion on whether or not she was wearing white pants in any of her Match.com photos.
Note: Anyone who listens to Kevin and Bean on KROQ (106.7 FM here in the Southland) is well aware of their ongoing theory about white pants being code for “do me on the flip side.”]
The final concensus was that by the time you reach 30-35, your Crap-o-meter gets too fine-tuned to be able to date without cynicism. These women were dying to go back to the days when nice men asked them out without 15 texts and three photos of naked torsos flying back and forth.
As one particularly gorgeous gal said, “I miss the days when I could just be a hussy. Why is it so hard to find someone to be a hussy with nowadays?”
I didn’t have an answer for her, but here’s a sample of the kind of dating pool she’s getting to pick from (this video kills me every time I watch it! Especially: “I got a whole can of peas. A pallet of peas. I’ve got a whole warehouse o’ peas!”):
Have you tried online dating? What was your experience? Do you think online dating is helping or hindering the dating process? Enquiring minds always want to know these things here at More Cowbell!
Did you catch the latest Holiday Yum recipe?
The Full Holiday Yum Schedule – Tasty Treats You Won’t Want to Miss!
- On November 17th, I kicked off the hop with my Gluten-Free Thanksgiving Meal. There are lots of great tips for folks who need to eat GF, including some sneaky foods to watch out for!
- On Nov 19th, Kathy Owen shared a salty-sweet, super-easy Spiced Pecans appetizer.
- Ellen M. Gregg had us all drooling with The Chocolatiest Chocolate Cake – Evah on Monday, November 26th.
- I shared the secrets to my family Almond Roca recipe on Wednesday, November 28th.
- Estee Lavitt shared her mouth-watering Baked Latkes on December 2nd, just in time for Chanukah!
- Natalie Hartford kicked off the cookies with her fabulous French Lace Cookies on December 5th. Mais Oui.
- On Dec 10th, Kathy gave us a Christmas cookie staple that’s yummy and versatile – butter spritz cookies.
- Ellen M. Gregg whipped up her Old-Fashioned Buttermilk Sugar Cookies, along with Bulldog Punch, on December 14th.
- Natalie Hartford continues the yummy sweets with her favorite cheesecake recipe on December 17th. (her story made me howl)
- Candy-making the super-easy way: Holly Candy with moi on December 19th.
- Jess Witkins shared her magic Pumpkin-Curry Chicken and Blue Cheese Bread.
- Yesterday, Kathy Owen posted about her super-easy beef rib-eye roast with currant jelly brown gravy, her signature Christmas dinner. Hope her holiday guests didn’t mind her taking photos of the food instead of them!
- And, finally, to help us ring in the New Year, Natalie Hartford shared some festive and delicious Mocktail recipes!