Last year in July, I wrestled with that swamp alligator, GOALS.
Goals, especially those we state in public, often feel like scary, slimy monsters. What if we don’t achieve our goals? (What if we DO?) The Life List Club is all about goals and reaching for your dreams.
About this time last year, I began participating in ROW80, but those goals are more short term. (Mine usually focus around writing and exercise.) On the other hand, my Life List Club goals are focused on quality of life, work/life balance and the big milestones for my career.
Confession: My Life List Club goals are a much scarier bunch (for me), but I’ve learned that the two seem to compliment each other. It’s been interesting to see that usually when I’m having a crap week at ROW80, it’s because I’m working my tail off at a bigger picture goal on my Life List.
Now…it’s time to celebrate!!
Below, I highlighted the goals I’ve achieved (even parts of) in green. The rest are a work in progress. Those that I’ve decided are unfeasible, I’ve crossed out.
Jenny’s Life List – started 7/1/2011
- Finish the polished first draft of my high-risk pregnancy memoir.
- Visit ROW80 blogs and bloggers every week – encourage at least two new people.
- Exercise a minimum of 3 hours a week. (HIGH on my list! Current avg = 2 hr/week)
- Try kickboxing classes at 24-Hour Fitness. (I signed up for 10 weeks yoga instead)
- Send the rest of last year’s presents – with death, moving and baby I’ve been pitiful in this department. (I’ve gotten some out still trying to find the others. Oy.)
- Make more time for reading – at least two hours per week.
- Implement guest bloggers on More Cowbell.
- Research climbing vines for the back yard perimeter wall – plant them.
- Create an area to plant potatoes – plant them.
- Plant the 3 bags of bulbs in my garage!
- Read “Save The Cat” and Christopher Vogler’s “The Writer’s Journey.” (Reading Vogler’s book now – here’s a fantastic review!)
Take Bob Mayer’s Warrior Writer again when I have time to devote to it.
- Take two courses from Margie Lawson’s Lawson Writer’s Academy. [I’ve signed up for two – one worked out and one didn’t – I’m going to take Margie’s April course.]
- Look into teaching at LWA or elsewhere online.
- Attend the 2012 DFW Conference (I’m going!)
- Begin submitting freelance pieces to build writing income.
- Take Baby Girl to Gymboree at least 1x per month. (I’ve focused on church playgroup so far…Gymboree or YMCA is still on the list.)
Take Baby Girl to Story Hour at the library at least 1x per month.(Didn’t care for this.)
- Entertain at home every few months. (Success – every month but one!)
- Have one night a week that belongs solely to my honey. (This quarter has been a bit dismal on the dating front – we’ve vowed to be better next quarter.)
I’ve got most of the little goals knocked out and I’m thrilled to be able to go to the DFW Writers Conference to meet up with so many of my peeps in person.
BUT. The same thing that always bugs me in book-length fiction is bugging me again…
I get impatient to be done already. I am so much further on my memoir than I was this time last year, when it was just a glimmer in my mind. I’m light-years ahead of where I was career-wise, but…
I’M NOT DONE WITH MY BOOK AND I’M TIRED OF IT AT THE MOMENT.
Thank God for these milestone parties! They let me:
- Give out amazing prizes – today’s is a Margie Lawson lecture packet for one lucky subscriber (Go! Go! Go, subscribe!) and a $10 Starbuck’s card for one lucky commenter on this post.
- Remind myself of how many goals I’ve achieved – it’s good for me to look up at that list and see so much green. It keeps me from obsessing over what’s NOT done. It keeps me focused on the process of chasing goals.
- Stop a moment and practice gratitude. Y’all might not realize it, but you’re a big part of my goals. You help me stay accountable. If it was just me tracking my progress, I might give in to the urge to take a nap, rather than write. THANK YOU.
What else is being given away today, by my fellow Life List Club members??
- Marcia Richards – Guest post swap and Amazon gift card
- Jess Witkins – Guest post swap and an iTunes gift card
- Sonia Medeiros – A guest post from Sonia or the winner’s work featured on Sonia’s blog
- Jenny Hansen – A Margie Lawson lecture packet and a $10 Starbuck’s gift card
- David Walker – A free download of his “Web Wisdom: Inspiration from the Inbox”
- Gary Gauthier – A choice of 3 eBooks
- Lara Schiffbauer – A $25 Gift card
I hope you take a moment to visit and comment on each of their posts. Our newest LLC member is Sherry Isaac – she’ll be stepping into the mix in April and I’m sooo excited about it! If you want to know more about how to make a Life List, click here.
How do you push yourself to achieve goals? Do you celebrate your milestones when you achieve them? What is your favorite goal that you’ve accomplished in the last year? Enquiring minds love to know these things here at More Cowbell!