Although Sister Appreciation Day falls on August 4th this year, I got my present five months early.
Yesterday, my baby sis posted this on Facebook.
Things my sister Jenny Hansen taught me:
- How to savor good coffee
- How to put on nylons
- To always order my bacon extra crispy, no one likes limp drippy bacon
- How to apply eyeliner without a mirror
- How to appreciate good wine
- Not to fight dirty but that fighting is okay sometimes
- A good pedicure solves many woes
- Best ways to get rid of a headache
- Babies are always a miracle
- Hold on tight in your 20′s, everything changes
- Always try to be professional, respectful and kind
- Life begins at 30.
- Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
- How to write a good résumé, keep my online presence complete and up to date, leave a job with grace and gratitude.
- You need sisters to get through life make sure they know how awesome they are and that you love them so much.
Oh… And don’t forget to send your thank you cards.
I’ll admit it…I cried. (And pulled out the stack of thank you notes I haven’t yet sent this year.)
You see, after fifteen years as my dad’s youngest child, Cory arrived in the family and rocked my world. I took care of this darling sweet
colicky baby twelve hours a day for about six weeks that summer.
It didn’t matter that we didn’t live in the same house, or have the same mommy. This was my beloved baby sis…and she still is.
Some day, when I’m not all choked up, I’ll do a post about the lessons she has taught me. Suffice it to say, 25+ years later, she’s all grown up and married herself, chasing dreams and making her world a better place. And I’m so very proud of her.
Do you have a sister that rocks your world? OK, Brother’s Day is also the first week in August…we can talk about them too.
What have you learned from the brothers and sisters in your life, whether they be biological or the ones of your heart? Which of the 15 lessons above is your favorite? Enquiring minds LOVE to know these things here at More Cowbell!
Turbo Cool Stuff: For the writers among you, Shannon Donnelly shared an amazing Synopsis Checklist over at Writers In The Storm today!